From My Etsy Shop...

1.11.2010

"Got the time tick tick tickin' in my head..."

Scarf in 8/2 Tencel. 8H plaited twill variation.

I forgot last week that I did actually make a resolution that I...um...forgot to mention. Nonetheless it's one I am committed to. I've made it my goal to finish at least one woven item every 1-2 weeks. So far, I'm keeping pace. First item came off last week, an 8/2 Tencel scarf. As many Tencel scarves as I have made (if I were to guess, that's probably about 25-30 of them but I really have no idea) it just doesn't get old. It's not an exaggeration to say that I *love* this yarn for weaving. Strong, shiny, soft, machine washable and dryer-able (although I don't) it's probably my signature fiber.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to get the warp for 2010's second woven project on the loom. I was up against the clock and my natural inclination to get sidetracked by going to the store (pick a store, any store!) instead of focusing on my weaving. I had a deadline to meet: wind warp and beam it by 9:30 pm. So my day went something like this:

8:00 - 2:30 Took down tree and xmas decorations. Had lunch, went to run errands and to the store.
2:30 Start selecting the yarns I wanted to use
3:15- 4:15 Wind warp. All goes well until I realize that the 2 balls of white/silver Knit-Cro-Sheen are not the same white. Perfectionist tendencies take over. I decide I have to go to the store *again* to get another ball. I'm so good at wasting time, it's not even funny.
6:30 Store doesn't have white/silver. Stare at available color combinations for 20 minutes while holding a ball of white/pearl KCS. Do math calculations in head to make sure one ball is all I would need. Satisfied that I can alter my design to include this color, I finally leave. 7:45 Finished winding the warp. End up using both balls of white/silver as well as some of the white pearl. When it's all done, I don't think there will be any noticeable difference in the two white/silvers.
8:30 Finish dinner and realize I still have to repair broken apron cords on the back beam before we can wind on. Adam is my assistant for winding on, and he has to leave at 9:30. By this time have one hour left to get this done. It's looking like I am going to be getting a sore back because I don't think I will be able to get it ready by the time he leaves. Nonetheless I press on.
8:30-9:00 By some miracle of my pack-rativism, I have lengths of linen rug warp (probably leftover from a past weaving project) already cut which somehow are cut to the exact length that I need.
9:10 Husband starts hovering nearby, pacing and looking at clock. Ok not actually, but mentally I know he was. I yank on the bouts and tell them not to act up on me. Suddenly, everything is in place. I don't think Adam could believe it. He took one look at it and said "Is that going to work?" Going to work? Going to work? Hell yes, it's going to work! It's going to work if I have to get under that loom and wind each end on separately. Of course, it doesn't come to that. Not even close. We wind on, everything goes like clockwork.
9:26 Waving to Adam as he drives away.
9:30 Celebratory dancing to a middle eastern song on The Indestructible Beat on WITR 89.7

So here it is! This will be a shawl for a wedding or special occasion. It's made of 5 yarns, all cotton or Tencel in white, cream, blue and with a little bit of silver metallic from the Knit-Cro-Sheen.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment